October 1st is the kick off day for Vegetarian Awareness Month with World Vegetarian Day! World Vegetarian Day was founded by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and you read more about the day at the World Vegetarian Day site – http://www.worldvegetarianday.org/.
Maranda of ZeVin Creations is a vegetarian and has been one since her teenage years. So for today – ZeVin Creations would like to wish you a HAPPY VEGETARIAN DAY!!! We’d like to encourage you to have a meat-free meal at least once this month as well! Here are some benefits about being a vegetarian and some neat little quotes we’ve come upon about vegetarianism.
Benefits of having a Vegetarian Diet (As seen on the World Vegetarian Day site)
- Reducing the risk of major killers like heart disease, stroke and cancers while cutting exposure to food borne pathogens;
- Offering a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry, through more efficient use of grains and other crops;
- Conserving vital, but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources;
- Saving animals from suffering in factory farm conditions and from painful slaughter;
- Preserving irreplaceable ecosystems, such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats;
- Mitigating the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture; and the list goes on
Famous Vegetarian Quotes
Animals are my friends-and I don’t eat my friends. — George Bernard Shaw
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.
— Paul and Linda McCartney
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
— Albert Einstein